Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Quilting and things...

So are you enjoying this rainy weather? It's been great for sewing, but it sure is getting busy around my house. I bet yours too! So I don't have a fun tutorial or anything for you today. Maybe Friday I'll have my act together!! As for now I'm just happy that we got the pumpkins carved, treat bags made, and all the other many projects we've had over the last few days.

Here's what's on my sewing table today...

 
I'm trying to get this baby quilt done for the weekend. Isn't it sweet? It's not the traditional 'pink and blue', however I love this French General fabric we have in the shop right now and I think it makes a lovely baby quilt.
 
As I was putting this together, I got thinking about the whole process of "quilting". Many of the ladies I know send their quilts out to be quilted. I love the look of quilts that have been 'long-arm' quilted, however for me it takes away from my creation. Don't get me wrong long-arm quilters are artists to themselves. The work they do is AMAZING. However, for me if I'm going to make something, I like the process from beginning to end. Some ladies are what I call 'piecers'. They love the process of piecing and putting the puzzle together. So I began thinking of what I am. I mean I've only been quilting since January of 2012!! So I am still a developing quilter. I think though I will stick with the whole process. For now I just 'stitch in the ditch' and am happy with that for now. Some day however, I'd love to try 'free motion' and learn other techniques.


 
For those of you that are newbie quilters like me, I thought I'd share my photos of what I do. The other day someone asked me what 'stitching in the ditch' was. Well, when we sew all those seams we are creating the ditch. This is where your pressing is important. If you are not careful with your pressing, when you get to your quilting it may be hard to stay "in the ditch". Also, when you line up your corners, it's much easier if they are closer to perfect than not.
 
 
 
I tend to sew all one way and then the other. Maybe a more experienced quilter would do it differently, but this has been working for me.
 
 
See how you can just follow the seam? And if you gently pull the fabric taught you can sew right in that 'ditch' and your stitching won't show. On the top at least.
 
 
 
I also try to pull my bobbin thread to the top. This way I have a clean beginning at the start of my stitching. Since I am a newbie and don't like my quilting to show. With this quilt I matched the thread to my backing. It blends right in.




 
 
So how about you, are you a 'piecer? Or a whole process quilter? What part(s) do you enjoy best? I'd love to hear your comments and any pointers you have for me! Happy stitching and may your bobbins always be full!!

Also, Happy Halloween!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your comments! Thanks so much for stopping by!