Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Napkins...

Now that Autumn has officially begun, all my thoughts are on gifts. Family, friends, hostess gifts! I guess I'm just a giver and I love hospitality. People gathering together to share a meal and some time together. All excuses to decorate and embellish things around your home to make them more inviting.

I've been going through other blogs and magazine for new ideas of things to make to continue our theme of gifts for under $30. When you make it yourself it can be easily done and they can be so fun and personal!

A few posts back I gave you a tutorial for our 10 Minute Table Runner. I kind of got in a groove and got addicted to completed projects!! So when I made a 'runner' for my step-mom I had to make napkins to go with, so here's what I did.


For this project you will need:

  • sewing machine
  • rotary cutter and cutting mat
  • cotton thread (we used 50 wt)
  • straight pins (if you'd like)
  • 2 yrds of main fabric
  • 1/6 yrd coordinating fabric

1. Press

As always you need to press your fabric. Remember NOT to iron, as this can distort and stretch your fabric.

2. Square up

Remember to square up your fabric so your end product will lay nicely. If you're not sure how to do this see our later post. Click here...

3. Cut your fabric

I cut my main fabric to 12 1/4 x 15 1/2 and my coordinating fabric and bottom (main fabric) to 2 1/2 inch strips.

4. Sew

Next I sewed the strips and main fabric together with 1/4 seams and pressed. Then I sewed the pieced front to the back, right sides together leaving a small opening to turn out.


5. Turn out and poke out corners...

Next I turned out my napkin and used my 'Purple Thang', yes that's actually what it's called and poked out the corners. Then press.



6. Back to the machine...

Once you have your napkin pressed, then you need stitch the open closed and I top stitched around the napkin. Then you're done!!


 
 
Once you make one, you'll get them down and find your own style! They make a great gift and they're 'green' if you're into that too! Happy sewing and may your bobbins always be full!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your comments! Thanks so much for stopping by!