Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Creamy Coconut Pie!



I guess now that weather is changing I'm just in the baking mood and if you've been reading my posts you'll know my weakness is pie! So when I came across this recipe on Dough Puncher for a coconut cream pie in an 11 x 17 pan I was all over it!!

We've been making all kinds of berry and apple 'somethings' in my home lately, but I was just in the mood for a Coconut Cream!! I just love Coconut! So here we go...

First, as with any pie, you make the pie crust. However if you have 'crust phobia', you can always purchase a store bought crust, so don't let this step intimidate you from making this delectable creation! Since I made my dough, I added a little coconut extract to the crust to make it that much more 'coco nutty'. Is that a word?

Once you have your crust  already, you need to bake it off as this is a cream pie and the filling is not baked. Next we make your filling. The recipe called for whole milk, but I didn't have any on hand, so I substituted a combination of 2% and heavy cream. It worked just fine. Once you've made your custard and poured it in the crust, then you'll need to chill it before you put on the whipped cream.

**Just a note if you've not used corn starch before to thicken something. It seems like it takes forever, but then once the custard gets to a certain temp it thickens real fast. So be patient.


The final step is to just whip the cream and toast your coconut. I tweaked my version a bit from the original recipe. I added coconut extract to the cream instead of vanilla. Also, I bloomed some Knox Gelatin in my cream before I whipped it. This step prevents your cream from becoming "weepy" and it holds up better. So whip your cream, toast your coconut and you're good to go! Enjoy!

 
For the full recipe click here....

Just what you need after a long day of sewing! Happy sewing and may your bobins always be full!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your comments! Thanks so much for stopping by!