Sunday, February 10, 2013

Fat Quarter basket

In honor of our Fat Quarter Sale Tuesday, I'm going to be posting some quick fat quarter projects. The quick basket that I made the other day is the one I will be sharing today. A while back I did a post for my 3 Fat Quarter Apron. You can get to the tutorial here...

For my fat quarter basket I used three fat quarters and a bit of batting. Here's what I did...






As always press your fabric, then trim it to the size you'd like your basket. I made mine 8 1/2 x 6" for the bottom of my basket and 4 1/2 x 6" for the sides. Lay out your bottom and top pieces and sew them together.


 

Now that you have the outside of your basket you can lay this piece out on a piece of batting.

 
Next I stitched in the ditch to attach my batting to the fabric.
 
 
 
Next fold your piece right sides together and stitch up the ends.
 
 
 
Once you have both ends stitched then poke out your corners like sew, and measure 1 1/4" and draw a line. You will be stitching on this line to make the bottom of your bag. Once you've sewn on your line you can cut the ends off to make a quarter inch seam.
 
 

 
 
 
Cute, huh? Ok, now we will make the handles. However, you could not put handles on if you'd like or use ribbon, make yours to suit your purpose!! :) To make the handles I cut 2 1/2" strips and sewed them as if I was making a binding. Sorry, I don't have the photos of that. But I just sewed the strips together, right sides together and then folded them in to make a strap and then top stitched.
 
 
 
I then stitched them to each end of the basket. Now we can work on our lining. You will need to cut a piece that is 17 x 6" if you make it the same size as mine. Right sides together, you will again sew up the sides and make your corners. However, on one side leave a 2" opening to "flip" your basket out.
 


 
Now take your basket and turn it batting side out and put in your lining.
 

 
 
Pin it into place and stitch around the top of your basket.
 

 
Now you will have something that looks like this. Through the opening you've left in your lining, pull your basket right side out. Top stitch around the top to finish off and you're done. You can make this in all sizes. They make a great gift or treat basket. I think I'll be making some for Easter treats.
 
 
 
There you have it! Happy sewing and may your bobbin always be full!
 
If you're interested in any of the fabrics I used you can purchase them on our site at parklandparishquilts.com





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your comments! Thanks so much for stopping by!