Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Peanut Butter Pie & Mardi Gras!


I hope you all had a marvelous month of February. I know I did! The month ended with a delicious Hershey's Peanut Butter and Chocolate pie. My sister gave me a Hershey's Dessert Book for my bridal shower, and this is one of the many desserts that caught my eye! It was a perfect way to end February.

And now, on to the marvelous month of March!

This month, we are having our
MARDI GRAS FAT TUESDAY EVENT!!
On Tuesday, March 8th come into the shop where all of our pre-cut fat quarters will be just ONE DOLLER A PIECE!
With our fat quarters regularly $3.00 a piece, this is a steal! Minimum purchase of 25 required.
In light of this event, I have been doing some research that I am going to share with you now!

Mardi Gras began long before the Europeans set foot in the New World. Back in Ancient Rome they used to celebrate in mid-February with a circus called Lupercalia. This was somewhat like a carnival, and is very similar to the Mardi Gras celebration later seen in New Orleans.
When the Romans embraced Christianity, the Carnival became a period of abandonment and merriment that preceded Lent.


In 1699 the French explorer Iberville brought Mardi Gras to America. Mardi Gras was celebrated in Paris since the Middle Ages and March 3rd was their day of celebration. On March 3rd 1699, Iberville set up camp along the banks of the Mississippi and named the site Point du Mardi Gras.

The celebrations we see today are filled with parades, masked marchers, and the colors purple, gold, and green. Those colors became the official colors of Mardi Gras in 1872, when The Krewe of Rex, an organization created to entertain the Grand Duke Alexis Romanoff of Russia, chose those colors in the Duke's honor. From that point on they have been the official colors of Mardi Gras.

I just thought I'd share with you some interesting information that I did not know until I did a little research. I think in life we all need a few periods of "abandonment and merriment." We can't always focus on our stresses and worries. If we did then life would be a drag. We need to take time to look around us and be grateful for all that we do have, and celebrate it!

I hope this finds you all happy, well and quilting.

May your bobbin always be full!
-Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your comments! Thanks so much for stopping by!