Wednesday, November 14, 2012

What to do with a layer cake... Part I

Have you ever just fallen in love with a layer cake, charm square or other fabric bundle and just had to snatch it up? What am I saying? This probably happens all the time!! Right? The problem comes in what to do with it... Well, I'm going to be making a quilt top out our lovely Double Chocolate layer cake and we'll see what happens...



Here's what I did so far... On the back of each layer cake there is a guide that will give you the yield of what you can get out of a layer cake. I really like 'pin wheel' type blocks, so I decided to cut my cake in to 5 inch squares and then cut each one on the diagonal.


 

 
 
If you have the small cutting board that spins, it makes cutting these up is a snap!
 
 
Once I got all my triangles cut and I could just whip through chain piecing my half square triangles.
 

 
Now just press and square up your blocks. I was able to square up to 4 1/2 inches. 
 
 
 
The best way to square up is to line up your square ruler on the diagonal and since we are squaring to 4 1/2 you'll want to place the four squares that line up at 2 1/4 in the middle and trip around.

 
Once your units are squared make your piles to make you blocks. While I did randomly choose my fabrics I did have a couple of rules. No two matching fabrics and somewhat even distribution of colors in the block.
 
 
Lots of nesting in this...
 
 
 
Once you get unit sewn together you'll need to snip some seam to get it lay nicely.
 
 
This is how it's coming along...

 
Come in and get a layer cake and make one too! I'll be posting my progress, so stay tuned! Happy stitching and may your bobbins always be full!
 
Would you like to get a layer cake right now? Click here to purchase one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your comments! Thanks so much for stopping by!